Yemen’s Houthi rebels fired eight explosive drones at a military base in the southern Saudi city of Khamis Mushayit on Friday. However, the Saudi air force was able to destroy the targets before they hit them.
The country’s state-run television channel said in a report on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the Huthi rebel group has also admitted to launching drones. A spokesman for the group said in a tweet on social media that a drone was first fired at Khamis Mushayit on Friday, followed by six more drones.
Yemen has been embroiled in civil war for the past six years. In 2015, Yemen’s ruling president, Abd Rabbu Mansour al-Hadi, fled attacks by Huthi rebels and sought refuge in Saudi Arabia. Since then, the Saudi-led military coalition has launched attacks in Yemen against the Houthis to bring Hadi to power.
Since then, Houthi rebels have often carried out drone and missile strikes targeting various provinces in Saudi Arabia. However, the Saudi-led military alliance destroyed most of them before hitting the target.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.