UN rights chief alarmed by heavy casualties in latest escalation in Gaza

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Thursday expressed alarm at the high number of Palestinians, including children, killed and injured in the latest escalation in Gaza.

“Inflicting hurt on any child during the course of conflict is deeply disturbing, and the killing and maiming of so many children this year is unconscionable,” said Bachelet in a media statement issued Thursday.

  Learn about the COVID-19 pandemic from News Hour  

The UN human rights office said Thursday that it has verified 48 Palestinian deaths in last week’s violence from Aug. 5 to 7. Among them at least 22 were civilians, including 17 children and four women.

According to data from the UN human rights office, 19 Palestinian children have died in the previous week in the occupied Palestinian territory, increasing the total number of fatalities since the beginning of this year to 37.

In the West Bank, where four Palestinians were killed and 90 others were hurt by live bullets on August 9, tensions are still quite high despite the fact that the ceasefire for the most recent escalation in Gaza is still in effect.

“The situation in Palestine is extremely fragile, and events such as in Nablus risk igniting further hostilities in Gaza. The utmost restraint is necessary to prevent further bloodshed, including by ensuring that firearms are used strictly in compliance with international standards,” Bachelet said.

Follow News Hour

Mridha Shihab Mahmud is a writer, content editor and photojournalist. He works as a staff reporter at News Hour. He is also involved in humanitarian works through a trust called Safety Assistance For Emergencies (SAFE). Mridha also works as film director. His passion is photography. He is the chief respondent person in Mymensingh Film & Photography Society. Besides professional attachment, he loves graphics designing, painting, digital art and social networking.
No Comments