Rafael Nadal opened his attempt to win a 10th Italian Open title on Wednesday with a straight-sets victory over teenager Jannik Sinner to advance to the third round.
The 20-time Grand Slam winner won through 7-5, 6-4 in two hours 10-minutes to bring his record to 16-1 in his opening matches in the Foro Italico.
His 18th-ranked Italian opponent had dug deep to try and pull off an upset, saving six set points in the first set in which he had been twice a break-up.
Sinner was again a breakup in the second before Nadal powered back for 4-4 seeing off the 19-year-old on his fourth match point.
“After Madrid, it was important to start with a positive feeling,” said Nadal, who was beaten in the last eight at both previous Masters events, in Monte Carlo and Madrid.
“Today was a tough match. I think I did a lot of things well. I made mistakes too but combined these with positive things too.”
Nadal, 34, next plays Canadian Denis Shapovalov, the 13th seed, for a place in the quarter-final.
Top seed Novak Djokovic and second seed Nadal have accounted for 14 of the past 16 titles at Foro Italico.
“It’s a lesson that’s tough to accept,” said Sinner, who also lost to Nadal in the quarter-final Roland Garros last year.
The teenager had been hoping to benefit from the presence of the home crowd in later rounds with a 25 percent capacity allowed from Thursday.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.