The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday announced the resumption of clinical trials of the drug hydroxychloroquine.
Earlier on May 25, the company announced a temporary suspension of drug testing due to security concerns. Meanwhile, a study published in the medical journal The Lancet found that the drug could increase the risk of death in Covid-19 patients.
Then came the new announcement from the World Health Organization.
Hydroxychloroquine is commonly used to treat arthritis. But some people, including US President Donald Trump, are supporting it for the COVID-19 treatment.
The executive group of the Solidarity Trial decided to postpone the test last week, World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanam Gabriasis told a virtual news briefing. The decision to suspend was taken due to concerns over the safety of the drug.
He said the decision was taken as a precautionary measure to review security issues. It is to be noted that more than three and a half thousand patients from 35 countries of the world have been accepted for this trial.