A rights organization with headquarters in the United States announced on Monday that it had verified the deaths of 5,848 individuals during a wave of protests in Iran that were put down by security forces, but it cautioned that it was still looking into thousands more possible deaths.
Economic problems served as the impetus for the protests, which began in late December and developed into a widespread movement against the Islamic republic. Beginning on January 8, there were massive street demonstrations.
The protests have, for the time being, subsided after rights organizations accused officials of carrying out an unprecedented response by firing directly at the demonstrators.
NGOs tracking the toll have said their task has been impeded by a now 18-day internet shutdown, warning that confirmed figures are likely to be far lower than the actual toll.
5,520 protestors, 77 minors, 209 members of the security forces, and 42 bystanders were among the 5,848 confirmed deaths, according to the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
However, the group stated that it was still looking into 17,091 additional potential deaths.
It stated that at least 41,283 persons have been taken into custody.
Monitor Netblocks confirmed that the internet ban is still in effect and stated that it is “obscuring the extent of a deadly crackdown on civilians.”
“Gaps in the filternet are being tightened to limit circumvention while whitelisted regime accounts promote the Islamic Republic’s narrative,” it added.
Giving their first official toll from the protests, Iranian authorities last week said 3,117 people were killed.
The statement from Iran’s foundation for martyrs and veterans sought to draw a distinction between “martyrs”, who it said were members of security forces or innocent bystanders, and what it described as “rioters” backed by the United States.
Of its toll of 3,117, it said 2,427 people were “martyrs”.
Over the weekend, Persian-language TV channel Iran International, which is based outside Iran, said more than 36,500 Iranians were killed by security forces between January 8 and 9, citing reports, documents and sources. It was not immediately possible to verify the report.`
Another NGO, Norway-based Iran Human Rights (IHR), says it has documented at least 3,428 killings of protesters by the security forces and warned that the final toll risks reaching 25,000.