One dead, two missing in Japan after heavy rain

Authorities reported that one person has died, two people are missing, and dozens more have been hurt as a result of heavy rain in various parts of Japan. Thousands of citizens have also been warned to evacuate, they said.

The leftovers of former typhoon Mawar, which is now a tropical storm, are to blame for the flooding.

  Learn about the COVID-19 pandemic from News Hour  

In Toyohashi, central Aichi area, where the nation’s highest degree of evacuation notice was issued Friday, a rescue crew “found a man approximately in his 60s in a submerged car, but he was later confirmed dead,” a city official told AFP.

Officials in western Wakayama, where many rivers overflowed their banks, told AFP that they had resumed searching for a man and a woman who were reported missing from the area.

According to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, as of Saturday morning, 24 people had minor injuries, while six people had critical injuries.

As the rains subsided, several evacuation orders—many of which are not mandatory, even at the highest level—were being lowered throughout central and western Japan.

However, further warnings regarding flooding concerns were issued in Tokyo’s neighborhood early that morning.

The Japan Meteorological Agency advised citizens to “be on high alert for landslides, overflowing rivers, and flooding of low-lying areas” after many cities, including Toyohashi in Aichi and Koshigaya near Tokyo, reportedly had the most 24-hour rainfall on record.

According to the Tokyo Electric Power Company, 4,000 homes in the Tokyo area lost power early on Saturday. However, the problem was generally fixed a few hours later.

Between Tokyo and Nagoya, Shinkansen bullet trains were momentarily suspended; however, according to Japan Railway, they resumed service about midday.

Follow News Hour

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments