Christian Atsu, a former member of Ghana’s international team, was discovered dead on Saturday, nearly two weeks after a terrible earthquake in Turkey.
On February 6, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake that shook Turkey and Syria killed more than 43,000 people in both countries, including Atsu, 31.
Initial rumors that the former Newcastle and Chelsea footballer had been saved a day after the earthquake proved to be untrue.
His manager in Turkey, Murat Uzunmehmet, told DHA news agency on Saturday that his body had been found under the rubble of luxury flats that crumbled in the Turkish southern province of Hatay.
“We have reached his lifeless body. His belongings are still being removed. His phone was also found,” Uzunmehmet told DHA.
Ghana’s ministry of foreign affairs said it had “received the unfortunate news”.
“The elder brother and twin sister of Christian Atsu and an officer of the (Ghanaian) embassy were present at the site when the body was recovered,” the ministry said in a statement.
Ghana stated that it was coordinating with the Turkish authorities to arrange for the return of Atsu’s body for burial in his native country.
On February 5, hours before the earthquake, midfielder Atsu scored the final of his 33 career goals for Hatayspor in Turkey’s Super Lig.
“There are no words to describe our sadness,” tweeted his Turkish top-flight club.