Djokovic confirms won’t play in Indian Wells, Miami

Due to US federal Covid-19 travel limitations, Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from this month’s ATP Masters tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami.

Djokovic, who is unvaccinated, said on Twitter that restrictions requiring non-US citizens to get vaccinated before entering the US had caused him to withdraw.

  Learn about the COVID-19 pandemic from News Hour  

“I knew it would be unlikely I’d be able to travel,” Serbian star Djokovic wrote.

“The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) has confirmed that regulations won’t be changing so I won’t be able to play in the US. Good luck to those playing in these great tournaments.”

Due to US travel limitations, Djokovic’s participation in the two renowned US championships had been in doubt for weeks.

Despite worries over his condition, the 34-year-old 20-time Grand Slam singles champion was named in the men’s draw for Indian Wells on Tuesday.

“Novak Djokovic is on the tournament entry list, and therefore is placed into the draw today,” tournament chiefs said on Tuesday.

“We are currently in communication with his team; however, it has not been determined if he will participate in the event by getting CDC approval to enter the country.”

Djokovic has won the Indian Wells tournament five times, and organisers have stated that confirmation of full immunization would be necessary for spectator access to the California desert location.

Djokovic was denied entry to the Australian Open in January after officials determined that he did not match the country’s vaccination standards for unvaccinated visitors.

His visa was eventually revoked, and he left without playing after a legal challenge failed.

Djokovic’s place in the main draw had been usurped by Grigor Dimitrov, according to Indian Wells organizers, who said a “lucky loser” from qualifying had grabbed the Bulgarian’s spot.

Follow News Hour

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments