The attacker will face survivors of the Christchurch attack

Brenton Tarrant, a white supremacist Australian who attacked a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, last year, will soon face survivors of that day. The country’s court has convicted Tarantor in the murder case. The sentence will be announced after a hearing next week. He could face life in prison.

Tarrant has been charged with 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and several counts of terrorism.

  Learn about the COVID-19 pandemic from News Hour  

A four-day trial is set to begin next Monday in a Christchurch court, the AFP news agency reported. A strict security has been imposed on the hearing and strict restrictions have been imposed on media reports. The families of the victims and some of the survivors will be brought to court and Brenton Trent will be summoned in front of them.

New Zealand Supreme Court Judge Cameron Mander said the wounds from the attack were still raw. The sentencing, in this case, would be an important example. The conclusion of this incident is considered to be a relief for the Muslim community.

More than 60 victims in the case will make statements, who are from outside the country. They are currently in quarantine for two weeks.

Hundreds of people have to sit at a social distance due to coronavirus restrictions. Some will be able to observe online.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said it would be a difficult week for many. The whole process will take some time to complete. But people have to listen to it.

Follow News Hour
News Hour Correspondent

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments
Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: