Flights from Bangladesh are banned in Italy

Italy has banned all flights from Bangladesh after a significant number of passengers from Bangladesh were found to be infected with the coronavirus.

The ban was imposed for the next week, Reuters news agency reported, citing the country’s health ministry.

  Learn about the COVID-19 pandemic from News Hour  

A statement from Italy’s health ministry said authorities would work on new precautionary measures for people living outside the European Union and the Schengen area during the period.

Due to the coronavirus situation, Bangladesh’s regular air communication with Italy has already been stopped. However, some people have gone to Italy from Bangladesh by special chartered air service.

Bangladesh Biman DGM Tahera Khandaker told media, “We don’t know anything about Italy’s decision yet. So there is no change in the schedule of chartered flights. We will take the next step once Italy’s decision is officially received.”

Earlier last week, a special decree was issued to test coronavirus for all Bangladeshis from Dhaka in the lazio region near Rome.

Last Monday, 225 passengers arrived in Italy from Dhaka and 21 of them were diagnosed with coronavirus.

“We have defused a viral bomb,” a senior lazio health official said today regarding this issue.

Mohammad Yusuf, a Bangladeshi journalist based in Italy, told the BBC that a total of 60 Bangladeshi coronaviruses positive had been detected in the last few days after arriving in the European country.

Follow News Hour
News Hour Correspondent

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments
Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: